As the country was emerging from the trauma of World War II, a youthful Oklahoma City, buoyed by the optimism of the postwar era, was riding the wave of a booming southwestern spirit. Many hopes were becoming realities. Some farsighted citizens, together with Bishop Thomas Casady, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Oklahoma, were exploring their dream to establish a diocesan center which would include a cathedral, a conference facility, and a boarding school for the city.
At the same time a group of Oklahoma City businessmen, out of concern for the quality of education that was available at that time in the city and recognizing the contribution of independent schools to American education, was discussing the possibility of starting a college preparatory church school in the classical tradition. Their assessment of the community’s needs focused the diocese on education. This resulted in a financially feasible plan for a school, which, in many ways, resembled from the beginning the inclusive, family-oriented and coeducational nature of Casady School today. They envisioned a school that would offer small classes, personal attention and worship in an atmosphere fostering healthy competition.
Named after Bishop Thomas Casady, Casady School officially began as Casady Hall on February 17, 1947, with the first meeting of its Board of Trustees. A donation of property located at the corner of Britton Road and Pennsylvania Avenue would provide the campus and first buildings for the school. This included a tract of 38 acres of land, a small lake, a house and two barns. Financial assets included $10,000 from Senator A. S. (Mike) Monroney’s Distinguished Congressional Award which he had designated for youth work in the diocese. Click here to read more history.